Mold is kind of like an iceberg. You only see 10% of the mold and the other 90% of the mold is below the surface.
Mold is incredibly difficult to get rid of – particularly in your house. It is often misleading because most often people turn to bleach which makes it appear to go away. What I mean by that is that the bleach actually does just bleach the mold, eliminating all the color so it is still there it just isn’t visible so people think they’ve tackled it and as it grows they think it has come back when it really was there all the time. To make things worse, some molds actually bloom when they come in contact with bleach so they grow faster. Plus, bleach and other suggested cleaners are often toxic or harmful to your lungs. If you are like me, I want a natural, safe and effective way to deal with mold.
So what to do?
I suggest a complex protocol to eliminate it for several reasons… just by its nature mold deteriorates the structure of the surface it is on. The bigger issue though is that the spores from the mold travel and go through out the house and the mold can spread if it is in the right environment and that it often causes respiratory issues. In some cases with a compromised immune system it can cause mold issues in people.
So what I would do…
First, I would mix a solution of Onguard Cleaner Concentrate and water (according to the label) and scrub the surface down.
Second, I would mix water, Onguard and Melaleuca and a couple drops of vodka (or rubbing alcohol ) and lightly spray down the walls. Here is the recipe:
*** NOTE: The Vodka in this recipe has to be a high proof/percentage of alcohol. I just go and buy a small bottle of the cheapest highest proof I can find. Everclear also would work or even non-drinking alcohol. Don’t use expensive smooth drinking vodka because it doesn’t work as well.
Third, I’d diffuse, using the Aroma Ace diffuser. Sorry there is no substitution for that in this application:
• Week 1: I would diffuse Thyme, every day for 8 hours.
• Week 2: I would diffuse Onguard, every day for 8 hours.
• Week 3: I would diffuse Oregano, every day for 8 hours.
The diffuser should be set on a higher level but don’t make it stronger than you can stand. Preferably diffusing takes place when someone isn’t in the room – ideally when everyone is at school or work. I wouldn’t diffuse that heavily with someone in the room.
Last – mold grows where there is moisture. That means if you have a leak somewhere you’ll need to find it and deal with it. If it is up in the corners of the room, check to make sure there is airflow in the attic. Sometimes those little holes get clogged or filled with insulation. They really are there for a purpose. If it is drywall, it can’t always be saved. You can try but it might be too far gone. Wallpaper is notorious for this and it is best to remove it.
Hope this helps! Don’t have doTERRA in your life?