Homework… a word that used to make me shudder. A couple of years ago I decided to pick up the degree I abandoned when I started a family. So not only did I have homework but my girls had homework too. Looking back at it, I remember homework in high school was a breeze. But it wasn’t that way for one of my daughters. She has a learning disability and so she really really struggles with it. I tried to relate but it didn’t really click until I was in my own Algebra class and doing two hours of homework a night. Along the way I picked up some tips for using essential oils for homework and in the class room so I thought I’d share with you…
First I’m distracto bunny even if I like to call it ‘creative’. We have a saying in our house… look a chicken because I’m so easily distracted. I’ll be doing something, think of something else that needs doing, go do that and before you know it I have three unfinished projects. So for me when I find my mind is racing in several different directions I use a blend I created call Quiet Mind which helps me focus.
There are many studies that show that Peppermint is good for taking tests. Some teachers hand out Peppermint gum or candy during test times. Lucky students have teachers that diffuse Peppermint during a test. It helps keep you awake and alert. I used to use it in my Art History class after the first hour and a half and I was starting to get a little sleepy. I’d just put a drop in my hands, rub them together and inhale deeply. Even other students would nudge me and ask me if I had it on hard days. I love art and I like history but that professor was monotone and it was a three hour class.
Rosemary… there is just something special about Rosemary and the brain. I like to use Rosemary (either inhale or diffuse) when I’m studying for an exam. Then I use a drop right before I walk into take the test. It is great to shake out the cobwebs! There is a really cool process with the brain that scents can trigger memories. Think about the smell of a chocolate chip cookie baking. Does it take you back to a place? For me it does… when my mom baked them when I was a kid. I couldn’t wait until they were done. Rosemary works the same way. The scent of it triggers what you were studying to help bring it back for a test. Click To Tweet I put a drop on the collar of my shirt so I can smell it again if I need it.
Diffusing for Homework:
- Lemon during home is really good when you are studying something you are good at or have an interest in. It seems to enhance your mood help elevate your performance.
- Frankincense can be very grounding and calming.
- Lavender is helpful for anxious feelings. Mixing it with Frankincense is even better.
- Wild Orange is uplifting and just makes you feel good. I use it when I’m tackling homework that isn’t my favorite. Mixing it with Frankincense adds a level of grounding. I use that combo as my reset button.
- Bergamot is a feel good in your own skin oil. I use it when it is a subject that I’m really feeling insecure about. Mixing it with Frankincense really helps. That combination got me through Calculus.
Another tip… make sure you don’t study on an empty stomach. Have something with some protein and complex carbs that is low in sugar and drink plenty of water. Skip the caffeine, it just dehydrates you and causes a crash and if you add that to sugar… no good. Especially if you crash in the middle of a test or before you finish your homework!