The last step in our New Year… make it your year program to get healthy is a cleanse. Don’t panic! I know cleanses are scary. I remember being in someone’s kitchen several years ago and she was adding vegetables to a boiling pot and she explained she was concocting a broth that she was going to use as a cleanse and only consume that for seven days. She went on to say that she felt so much better afterwards.
I thought she had lost her mind and since then I’ve heard of all sorts of crazy cleanses like: juice cleanse; apple cider vinegar cleanse; lemonade cleanse; the cotton ball cleanse, liquid protein cleanse and lets not even get started on some of the wacky celebrity cleanses. Really if the goal is to cause violent trauma to your GI tract, just eat a pound of those sugar-free gummy bears and spend the weekend in your bathroom (if you haven’t seen those and want to laugh hysterically visit: Sugar Free Gummys ).
Kidding aside, those cleanses are really bad for you. In addition to spiking your blood sugar, you might not consume enough nutrition to build healthy immune cells and regenerate muscle following a work out and in can increase risk of infection. Common side effects are headaches, fatigue, shaking, feeling weak, decreased cognitive function, moodiness, stomach pain and feeling like you are starving. In some cases it can irritate the colon. Plus if you take any prescription medications it could cause interactions and side effects. I’ve yet to see a medical professional in good standing recommend or endorse any of those cleanses. In fact the expression on their face when you mention it would make a hilarious compilation video on YouTube.
My philosophy is that we do things slowly and carefully and don’t stress the body out. The intention is to bring your body into balance. Become healthier. Support body functions. A natural gentle cleanse followed by probiotics can be incredibly beneficial if it is done right. The cleanse I like to use is with essential oils.
What you need:
Empty gel caps (most health food stores carry them)
Melaleuca essential oil*
Oregano essential oil*
Lemon essential oil*
Three Times Daily for 10 days with meals:
One Gel cap: each 3 drops of Melaleuca, Oregano and Lemon essential oils
Follow the 10 days of the cleanse gel cap with 5 days of a probiotic with each meal.
- A latte or a spoonful of peanut butter is not a meal. The meal needs to be something of some substance.
- If discomfort occurs during the cleanse cut back the cleanse gel cap number of drops or times taken daily.
- If you feel really good after taking the probiotic consider continuing one probiotic daily.
- Do not make gel caps ahead of time. They need to be made right before consuming. The gel caps start to dissolve almost immediately.
- A premade gel cap is available, contact me for more information.
- Please make sure the oils you use are clearly labeled for internal use. Few are and departing from the directed label use can be dangerous.
- The probiotic used must be one that is engineered to open in the GI tract. Liquid probiotics and regular capsules start breaking down as soon as they are swallowed and only a small fraction of the probiotic makes it to the GI tract.
I like to repeat this cleanse quarterly and I do take the probiotic daily to support my immune system. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Note: All essential oils aren’t created equally. Especially for internal use check the label to see if it is safe. Why?…Essential Oil Grades
If you’d like to know more about what products I use please send me a message below.
PS: I’m not trying to keep it a secret… the brand doesn’t allow their products named or pictured on non-company websites. I’d tell you if I could!
Follow the other weeks for the Make It Your Year Program