With school starting it is simply a matter of time before one of us gets that dreaded call that we have go get our child and deal with those dreaded head lice. While my youngest just graduated, we had our share of experiences with those nasty little buggers. It is a huge task, especially when you are blessed with girls with waist length hair. To make matters worse, not only do you have to spend hours combing hair but you have to wash every piece of bedding in the house and spray down every piece of furniture. Really a nightmare; you’ve never worked so hard for so little reward.
The best approach of course is prevention.
- Trying to get our little ones to not share clothing and hats
- Hang up backpacks and coats not touching as much as possible
- Add a drop of Cedarwood or Melaleuca to shampoo
- Mix a spray of a cup of water, a couple drops of alcohol (vodka works) and 10 drops of cedarwood essential oil and lightly spray down coats, hats and backpacks every night. Some use Melaleuca but I prefer Cedarwood
If you get that dreaded call:
- Coat the hair with pure therapeutic grade natural Cedarwood essential oil, diluted in olive oil or another carrier oil.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- Do a test to see if nit releases easily. If it doesn’t wait another 15 minutes and test again.
- Comb through. There are a lot of expensive combs, but the plastic superfine tooth combs work very well.
- Shampoo well
- Use the spray above on fresh bedding, pillows and all towels used during the process.
- Soak combs in water with Cedarwood Oil.